5 Tips for Proper Nutrition During Pregnancy
1. Good nutrition should be prioritized and you should consult your doctor on what foods to eat for your baby's growth as well for your physical wellness. Proper nutrition begins by going on a balanced diet. Never skip meals and avoid foods that contain caffeine. It is also important to drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses per day.
2. Probably the most important mineral that you need to take is calcium. The suggested amount of calcium needed by pregnant women is 1,200 mg. It is 400mg more than the recommended daily intake. Dairy products such as milk, cheese, pudding and yogurts are good sources of calcium. Other sources of calcium include salmon, broccoli, beans and a calcium-enriched orange juice.
3. Folic acid is also essential for proper nutrition during pregnancy. It is important for the baby's fetal brain and spine development. Pregnant women should take at least 400 micrograms of folic acid through their entire pregnancy along with a multivitamin. Good sources of folic acid include peanuts, peanut butter, tofu and cereals. Other sources include green and leafy vegetables, squash and beets.
4. Vitamin B12 is essential for both the mother and the baby's proper brain and nerve functions and vitamin B12 can be found in animal products. For vegetarian mothers, soy milk or organic meat made from soy beans are good replacements.
5. Protein is also essential for pregnant women and protein intake should increase by 10g a day. Animal products like meats, eggs and milk are good sources of protein. Organic sources of protein include soy milk, cereals, legumes and seeds.
Your eating habits generally change throughout every trimester of your pregnancy. On your first trimester your nutritional concerns focus on morning sickness or nausea. Some methods of fighting morning sickness include frequently eating small amounts of food, hungry or not. Eating non-fat foods, foods rich in carbohydrates, potassium and dry foods are also helpful.
You should always remember that proper nutrition during pregnancy is very important for having a healthy body and a healthy baby. It is best that you consult your physician to know more about healthy eating and making healthy dietary choices.